PDF Space Saving Techniques
In this tutorial you will learn how to save file space in your canvas course by compressing large PDFs with Adobe Acrobat.
1. Log into canvas
Need help with getting into Canvas? Please click here for help.
2. Navigate to your course
Proceed to the course containing the PDFs that you'd like to compress. For example, a course with a file quota cap nearing max capacity.
3. Identify large PDF files in your course
Click Files in the Course Navigation Bar.
Your list of files will display, separated into columns labeled: "Name", "Date Created", "Date Modified", "Modified By", and "Size".
Click the Size column. This will sort your course files from largest to smallest down the page.
The top of the list is now displaying the largest file in your course.
4. Download large PDFs
1. Download files to your computer by clicking the Gear button that appears when hovering over the files on the very right side of the screen.
5. Launch Acrobat Pro
From your local applications folder open Adobe Acrobat XI Pro. Your HSU computer should have this program already installed.
Uisng Windows 10:
1. Click the Start Menu
2. Type acrobat and hit the Enter key
Using Mac OSX:
1. Click the Magnifying Glass in the top-right corner of the screen to search
2. Type Adobe Acrobat and hit the Return key or click on the Adobe Acrobat program from the search results
1. With Acrobat loaded click File in the upper left corner.
2. Click Open...
3. Locate your downloaded PDF and open it
4. Again click File in the upper left corner
5. Select Save As...
The File Name field will be highlighted
6. Rename the document so you know which one is the compressed version
7. Click the Save as Type dropdown
8. From the list select: Adobe PDF Files, Optimized ( *.pdf)
9. Click Save