How do I submit an assignment from Google Drive in Canvas?
In this tutorial, you will learn how to embed a Google Drive document into a Canvas assignment submission.
1. Navigate to the Canvas Assignment
From within your Canvas course, navigate to the assignment you'd like to submit.
3. Choose your submission method
These options will differ based on what types of submission your instructor has allowed for the assignment.
There are two options for submitting a Google Drive file as an assignment submission: (Instructions for each can be found below)
1) Embed the Google Drive File into a text entry
- If your instructor has allowed text entry submissions you can embed a file from Google Drive into the text area.
- This method will submit to your instructor a view-only perspective to the file, but you will be able to continue editing.
2) Select the file from the Google Drive tab
- This method will submit to your instructor a copy of the current version of your Google Drive file.
- You will NOT be able to continue editing.
4. Submit Assignment
From the submission type tabs, select Google Drive.
Select the desired file then click SUBMIT or LINK.
The SUBMIT option will create a Word document (.docx) version of your Google Doc and submit it.
The LINK option will submit an embedded Google Doc, which will reflect changes made outside of Canvas after submitting.
IMPORTANT: There is a maximum Google Doc file size limit of 10.4 MB while using the LINK option. If you have a document larger than 10.4 MB, Canvas will not warn you and your submission will appear to have completed successfully.
While working with large documents, it is best to check on this before submitting. In the Google Document, click on File --> Download as... --> Microsoft Word (.docx).
If the Microsoft Word (.docx) option is greyed out, this means that the file is has exceeded the size limit to be converted to a Word Document.
Check that you can see your file name and click Submit Assignment.