How do I link my Google Drive to Canvas?
In this tutorial, you will learn how to link your Google account to your Canvas account. This will allow for direct access to your Google Drive contents within Canvas.
Users can then embed or link documents from Google Drive into Canvas Assignments, Discussions, Pages, etc.
Documents which are embedded or linked from your Google Drive are automatically updated in Canvas when you update them in your Drive.
IMPORTANT MESSAGE : Before you begin, make sure you are not logged in to Google or your Chrome Browser with a personal account other than your HSU account. This can cause problems with the integration.
If you think you have a personal account linked, or are experiencing difficulties, please follow this guide to unlink a Google account.
The most common error we have with Google Drive and Canvas is students (and faculty) who are logged into Google with their personal credentials and not their school credentials:
- e.g., Alex Smith has a [email protected] identity, as well as a [email protected] identity. They are logged into Google as [email protected]. When they try to access something in Google Drive
through Canvas, it will most often fail, since items within Google Drive are commonly shared only to those in the domain "@humboldt.edu".
1. Make sure you are not logged in to Google
Check whether you're signed into any other Google accounts. To do so, go to google.com and look at the upper right.
If you see this blue Sign in button, proceed to Step 2: Make sure you are not logged in to the Chrome Browser
If you see a circular profile image or your initials:
- Click the profile image or first initial to view the accounts that you're currently logged into.
- Click Sign out to sign out of all of your Google accounts.
2. Make sure you are not logged in to the Chrome Browser
If you are not using Google Chrome, proceed to Step 3: Open Google Drive in the Course Navigation Menu.
If you are using Google Chrome:
1. Click the three dots in the upper left corner of the browser window to open the menu.
2. Click Settings.
3. In the People area at the top:
If you see a SIGN IN TO CHROME button, proceed to Step 3: Open Google Drive in the Course Navigation Menu.
If you see your Name and a SIGN OUT button, click SIGN OUT.
3. Open Google Drive in the Course Navigation Menu
To link your Google Drive to your Canvas account, start by selecting Google Drive from any Course Navigation Menu.
4. Authorize your Google Account
If you have no currently linked Google account to your Canvas account, you will see a message prompting you to log in.
At the bottom of this page is an AUTHORIZE button to log into your Google Account.
5. Sign into your Google Account
After clicking AUTHORIZE, you will either be logged in automatically or you will be prompted to enter your email address.
If you are prompted to enter your email address, make sure to use your HSU email.
If prompted, allow instructure.com access to your Google Drive.
6. View your Google Drive
Once your accounts are linked, you should see the contents of your Google Drive.
Again, if you think you have a personal account linked, or are experiencing difficulties, please follow this guide to unlink a Google account.