How do I embed a Google Form in a Canvas discussion?
In this tutorial, you will learn how to create and embed a Google Form into a new Canvas discussion topic.
Make sure that you use your Humboldt State University Google account to create your form and response sheet.
1. Log in
Either through myHumboldt or Google, log in to your HSU account.
2. Navigate to Google Drive
You can access Drive through the Applications button on the Google Homepage or by searching for "Google Drive."
3. Create a new folder
Create a folder to house your Google Form and Response Sheet by clicking NEW -> Folder.
Name your folder (e.g. COMM 100 Survey) and click CREATE.
4. Create a new form
Create a form by clicking NEW -> More -> Google Forms.
5. Edit your form
Give your form a meaningful name and description then use the interface to add questions.
You will most likely use the short answer or multiple choice question types.
Use the Add option button to add answers to multiple choice questions.
Use the + button to add questions.
6. Modify the form's settings
1. Click on the Settings Gear in the upper right corner.
2. Uncheck the box next to Collect email addresses.
3. Check the box next to Restrict to Humboldt State University users.
4. Check the box next to Limit to 1 response.
5. Click SAVE.
7. Modify your form's responses settings
1. Click on the Responses tab.
2. Click on the green button to 'Create spreadsheet'.
8. Create a new spreadsheet
1. Select the Create a new spreadsheet option and rename your sheet if you'd like.
2. Click CREATE.
Your Google Sheet should open in a new tab.
9. Copy the embed code for your form
1. From the form editing page, click Send.
2. Click on the embed tab denoted by the '< >' symbol.
1. Click Copy to copy the embed link to your clipboard.
2. Click X.
OPTIONAL: You can edit the Width and Height of your embedded form from this menu.
10. Navigate to the Canvas Discussion
Navigate to the Canvas course where you would like to embed the form and click Discussions in the Course Navigation Menu.
12. Title the Discussion post
Give your discussion a meaningful title. If your classmates will be posting forms to discussions as well, you will most likely include your name in this title.
13. Embed the Google Form
Click on HTML Editor then paste your previously copied embed code into the text area.
The embed code should look something like the code below. (An HTML iframe)
14. Save changes
Click SAVE to save changes and view your embedded Google Form.
You should now see your Google Form embedded into a new discussion topic.
15. Test the Form
You can fill out the form and submit it to test your automation process.
Immediately after submitting the form, you should see a new row in the Responses spreadsheet.